This Chocolate Pavlova is a dessert of joy, love and calm. Crispy, chewy, soft, chocolatey meringue studded with dark chocolate chunks and topped with a thick blanket of cream and raspberries. It has been a success every time I have made it, such is it’s reliability. It can be dressed up or down to suit you sir but effortlessly brings a sense of serious style to any Soiree. I feel it is the Audrey Hepburn of the dessert world, dark, sophisticated and drop dead gorgeous. I have come to think of this as a perfect Sunday Lunch Pudding when I am entertaining a small crowd. It is super easy and quick to put together allowing you more time for other prep and panic. I try to pick all my recipes for their ability to be almost completed before people arrive. I am a panicker and as anxiety plays more and more a part in my hormonal journey of dehydration and general loosening, I need things to be more or less just about keeping warm and plating up, otherwise I find myself sweating like a very large person in a sauna wearing a duffel coat. I find it almost impossible at that point to enjoy the experience as my panic rises and I become certain of complete disaster and personal uselessness. It was just the same with driving at night. Someone for the love of God pass me the Wine as well as the H.R.T…………..now.
I anxiously have to have the table laid with all accompaniments and sides in place with serving spoons to the ready, glasses out standing to attention and nibbles naked and exposed for immediate nibbling. That way I can genuinely chat and listen to guests as they arrive. My brain can no longer cope with more than one job as I struggle to remember why I’ve gone upstairs most days, nevermind what your name is whilst hunting for the last remaining teaspoon for the bl…y horseradish.
So this Chocolate Pavlova talks me down every time. I can make it the previous day and decorate an hour before people arrive. It requires no jostling of space with Roast Potatoes or Cauliflower Cheese. It merely sits reassuringly regal and composed, sending me proverbial hand squeezes and all will be well vibes and many a time I have found myself heavily in her debt.
This Chocolate and Raspberry Pavlova recipe is mostly borrowed from Nigella Lawson. As always I find her recipes outstanding in all the ways that matter to me, no fuss with great style and taste and I can’t help but love her muchly for it.
Chocolate Pavlova Recipe.
- 6 egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp quality cocoa powder
- 50g of quality dark chocolate
- 500 ml of double cream
- 500 g of raspberries
- grated dark choc to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180 C-350 F and line tray with baking parchment.
- Beat the egg whites until fluffed up and stiff.Beat in the sugar until stiff and satiny.
- Sprinkle over the cocoa and chocolate and then fold it all in.I sometimes whisk the cocoa in before folding in the chocolate and it does not seem to matter at all.
- Shape into a disc shape about 9 inches in diameter whilst drawing up the sides a little so as to contain all the cream and raspberries later.
- Place into the oven and then immediately drop the temp down to 150 C and bake for 1 to 1 hour fifteen minutes.I sometimes do it in my Aga simmer oven for about 2 hours.
- Let the pav cool completely before whisking the cream to soft peaks and tumbling on the raspberries (love a tumble)
- You could also decorate with dark chocolate gratings for a bit of razzle.
- Apply to Unflushed face.
I have linked this post with I should Cocoa and Tin and Thyme as well as CookBlogShare Week 26