Oh for the love of God. I knew it would end in tears and I’ve only got myself to blame and I’ve always got to go one step too far and I should have known better……. No S..t Sherlock, all of my serial stuffing of face has led to a significant weight problem that I can ignore no longer in the piercing and brutal light of my inability to fit into my coat anymore. The final straw that broke the fat camels back was that I had to leave the house with it undone yesterday using only a long scarf to keep the icy elements away from my flabby frontage. What a sorry state of affairs to find myself in with a choice between walking around like a trussed up overweight chicken with minimal arm movement or risking chilblains on one of my bellies. So the time for action is NOW, before I lose conviction or pass a doughnut. To serve as a motivational tool in desperate moments, tonight I am going to photograph myself in the mirror in my mismatching underwear, making sure to get the money shot…..my back fat….. you could get lost in the stuff……wish me luck I’m going in…..
So in the spirit of my new and necessary healthy eating plan here is a delicious Roast Tomato Soup with Rosemary and Garlic. I have made Bread Rolls to serve with it, I of course will be on the Ryvita.
- 1 kg tomatoes.I use the bigger sized tomatoes as it makes it much easier to deseed later on.I heartily recommend that you pick quality toms, preferably on the vine.It does make a whole heap of difference to the taste.
- 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock.
- 1 whole bulb of garlic.
- sprig of rosemary (large)
- 2 medium size carrots
- 2 red onions
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp of cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190 C. Cut tomatoes and garlic bulb in half, drizzle over olive oil, salt and pepper and roast until just starting to colour.
- Cut up the carrots, celery, onions and drizzle with olive oil and season.Put the rosemary in too and roast as above.
- Allow tomatoes to cool and then roughly deseed and pull off the skin.Both of these techniques are simple as the seeds and skin will come away with just your fingers.Squeeze out half the garlic cloves and put the other half in the fridge to use in a sauce or to make garlic butter with.It is beautiful stuff.
- Put all the ingredients along with the crispy leaves of the rosemary in a large saucepan and use a stick blender, or a food processor, to blitz to a puree before putting in the saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and let bubble away for ten mins or so.If it is a bit too thin then simmer for longer until its how you like it. You could chop up a potato (quite small) and roast along with the tomatoes to give a thicker soup if you like it that way.
- I add a little cream at this point but it is a suits you sir moment.Season to taste.
One basic bread recipe and when you get to take dough out after first prove you shape into roughly the same size balls and place in a greased or lined roasting tray about 30 x 23 cms ish.
Then cover and set about giving it a second prove as in the standard bread recipe.Before baking it at 200 C for about 30 mins ish whereupon the buns are brown and hollow when given a good tapping.Apply to skinny face.