This Cheesy Chicken Pasta dish is just fabulous for a quick and simple meal that is bound to please all the family.
Full of flavour and served all out of the one pot. I love it’s easy catering style.
Cheesy Chicken Pasta with Broccoli
But first some emotional trauma……feel free to scroll on by to the recipe below if you’re feeling hungry…
I know I have talked before about the growing independence of my children and how pathetically bereft that makes me feel. Losing that feeling of being loved fiercely leaves quite a hole if your life is not one of International jet setter or Olympic superstar which was the life plan I had originally set out for myself until things went somewhat t.ts south of 2007…….
I have been feeling the loss more keenly lately as my son disappears into the land of X box, every sport known to man and fart jokes. He used to feel wobbly if I was over a mile away from him however I have not really been allowed to touch for a long time, the wise amongst us always knew this was coming.
So as I find myself overweight and alone with the ironing I was not entirely surprised to experience an emotional tsunami when cuddling my friend’s baby Grandson. He had me at the very first sniff.
Oh my goodness what a fabulous drug……I was overwhelmed, overtaken with all of his gorgeous babyness, his lengthy litany of baby googles and coos and true to hormonal form, I wept all over him……
What his Mother thought of me I have mostly tried not to dwell on…….and as I left the house I realised of course that I should have had more babies. To hell with a waist and trampolining…….
Endless amounts of babies would have quelled this mad maternal need. The last one practically fell out, it would have been no bother……..
However my husband was swift to cut me off at the reproductive pass, damn the man, and I am now obviously adrift on a barren sea devoid of wet kisses and broken sleep ………
In order to not embarrass myself anymore with other fertile people’s babies perhaps the time has come to move on from the school run…… Pass me the doughnuts and the local job vacancies………
Cheesy Chicken Pasta Recipe.
This easy chicken recipe for me is the epitome of a working family life. I can make this quickly and easily for a family meal. It serves everyone’s likes and I don’t have to faff.
Chicken pasta recipes are perhaps my favourite of all for mid week meals as invariably it is a one pot serving if not quite a one pot cooking. You can also reheat the leftovers for round two later in the week or alone in the dark for a clandestine cheesy fix in your dressing gown.
The Cheese sauce is made from a simple roux. A sauce that in reality is EASY to make. As long as you whisk like a b.tch for thirty seconds or so it is fail safe.
I use the elbow pasta that is a bit like macaroni.
The Broccoli is cut into small bite size pieces and cooked along with the pasta for the last couple of minutes of cooking time.
- I fry the chicken and onion in a very large frying pan that I use to serve everything from.
- I then set aside whilst I put the pasta on to boil and make the cheese sauce.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Tip the broccoli into the boiling pasta water a few minutes before the pasta is ready.
- When the pasta and broccoli is cooked I drain and tip straight onto the chicken.
- Once the butter and flour have melded together over a gentle heat ( it looks like greasy sand). I tip in 250 mls of milk and then chicken stock, or in American language, 1 cup of each.
- Whisk like the aforementioned bitch and all will be smooth.
- Tip in your cheese and stir until melted and seriously delicious.
- Pour over the pasta etc in the frying pan and gently mix the sauce all through.
- Season to taste carefully. I eat a couple of the pasta pieces before I season.
- The cheese sauce can often be almost too salty but when eaten with the pasta it actually needs a little more. Suck it and see….always.
Fill your Family Faces with this five star midweek meal. Nursery food at it’s best.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU MAY LIKE THESE
Cheesy Chicken Pasta with Broccoli
This is a Cheesy Chicken Pasta recipe with bite sized pieces of Broccoli. It is quick and simple to bring to the table and one of my favourite Chicken Pasta Recipes of all time.
- 500 grams mini chicken fillets you can use chicken breasts
- 300 grams elbow pasta
- 200 grams mature cheddar
- 1 tsp french dijon mustard
- 1 large onion finely chopped or whizzed in the food processor
- 250 mls milk
- 250 mls chicken stock
- 250 grams broccoli pieces already cut into bite size
- 4 tbsps butter
- 7 tbsps flour any white will do
Put the chicken, onion and broccoli in a very large frying pan or saucepan with some olive oil and fry gently until cooked through. Set aside.
Bring some salted water to the boil for the pasta and empty it in.
In another saucepan melt the butter and then add the flour and allow to cook gently for a couple of mins giving it the odd stir.
Pour in the milk and chicken stock and whisk continuously until thickened and smooth. About 5 minutes.
Add the cheese and let gently bubble away whilst stirring through until all is melted. About five minutes.
Add the broccoli to the pasta for the last two mins of cooking time. Drain when ready and tip on top of the chicken. Pour the cheese sauce on top of the whole lot and mix wonderfully through.
Apply to Bereft Face for a Cheesy Grin.
For more of a cheesy kick if you are cooking for just adults add 50 grams of grated Parmesan and another tsp of Dijon Mustard.
It is best served straight from the pan but you can gently reheat it perhaps adding a splash of milk to aid the cheese sauce softening.
If there are leftovers I refrigerate them in the same frying pan for ease of reheating but make sure you put it in the fridge as soon as it is cold.