Rhubarb Crumble Cake.
This easy Rhubarb Crumble Cake is absolutely delicious. As at home on the table for a Sunday Lunch Pudding as next to a large cup of Tea. One of my absolute favourite cakes. I love the slightly tart stewed rhubarb against the soft, cinnamon cake. Sublime....
Rhubarb Cake Recipe
Tis the season for wonderful rhubarb at the mo and I have been inspired to make a Rhubarb Crumble Cake by my friend Helen at https://www.thecrazykitchen.co.uk.
Her rhubarb cake looked lush. I was also given an abundance of the stuff from good friend and avid gardener Matt. Apparently he had more than he knew what to do with.
I should have taken him some cake as a thank you, but I ate it all myself. I have no shame.
I love the delicious combo of cinnamon, fruit and cake and I love the whole caboodle even more warm with cream.
In fact this cake could just as easily be a pudding. Ideal for Sunday lunch.
A serious cake for serious pleasure.
I used an 8" square baking tray.
Stewing the rhubarb is a simple ten minute simmer. It just needs to soften.
The cake is made by a simple creaming method followed by topping with the fruit and then the crumble mix.
To sum up, this Rhubarb Crumble Cake is a light moist cinnamony cake with sweet and sharp rhubarb topped with a buttery, nubbly crumble. Enjoy, I know I and my three bellies did.
Here are some fabulous and similar fruity recipes -
Rhubarb Crumble Cake/Pudding.
- 400 grams rhubarb trimmed into 1 inch chunks
- 100 grams light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 100 grams plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 75 grams butter cold
- 75 grams light brown sugar
- 100 grams unsalted butter soft
- 175 grams plain flour
- 2 tbsps milk
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- Simmer the rhubarb, cinnamon, sugar and 2 tbsps of water gently in a saucepan for five/ten minutes until still firm but softened. Allow to cool. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- For the crumble topping-technically you should sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and then rub in the butter with your fingers until breadcrumb like before mixing in the sugar.I just blitz the lot in my food processor until sandy.Place in the fridge to chill (about 20 mins)
- For the cake-cream the butter until soft in a free standing mixer or with a hand held whisk.Add the sugar and whisk until pale and fluffy.Beat in the eggs one at a time before adding the cinnamon and milk. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold into the mix well. I get a bit frustrated with folding in forever so I have to admit I just whisk the flour and baking powder right in.
- I used an 8 inch loose bottomed cake tin but I did have some overflow so a 9 inch cake tin or similar would be best.Fill the tin with the cake batter. Spread the rhubarb mixture gently over the cake batter. Scatter the crumble mix all over and bake the cake for 45/50 minutes.Watch carefully at the end as the top can start to catch.
- Let the cake cool significantly in the tin but you can remove while still warm.In fact it's a bloody good idea to do so.This cake warm with cream is divine.
- Apply to Pig in Shit Face.