This so Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Pasta is so quick to prepare and packed full of tender chicken and deliciously mellow cheesy garlic and creamy tomato flavours. It's a real family pleaser of a meal too.
Here in the U.K the children tend to mostly like beige food or mine certainly do anyway. It genuinely aggrieves me but here I have a winner. They can't get enough. Woohoo!
Plus it uses only a few ingredients and some have such a definite cheats vibe about them that this recipe makes me feel like I'm putting grins on exhausted home cooks faces across the land.
Show me the love if I'm right. Seriously who knew it could be so easy?
Reasons To Make This Recipe
- child friendly
- few ingredients
- perfect meal to put in the slow cooker to come home to
- tender chicken every time
- super easy
- properly delicious
- all made in the slow cooker pot
- real comfort food
*Scroll down to the bottom of this post for the full printable recipe card*
Slow Cooker Chicken Pasta Recipe
Coming home to a cooked meal is a warm/smart .ss feeling and all you have to do here is chuck in some pasta and wait 45 minutes before serving the whole lot alongside some vegetables of your choice.
The star of the show here is Boursin Cheese. It is packed full of flavour and the perfect way to get flavour into a sauce in a mere prep moment. I've been dying to find a way to use it like this. Boursin Boom.
1 Boursin Cheese - Boursin is a brand of Gournay cheese. It is a soft creamy cheese packed full of garlic flavours.
1 x 400 grams tin of tomato soup
4 x chicken breasts or 650 grams (23 oz) chicken thighs
300 grams dried penne pasta
400 mls cold water
1 tsp salt
grated parmesan to serve
Mash the boursin cheese up with a fork in a large jug or medium mixing bowl and tip in the tomato soup. Mix the two together.
Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker pot.
Pour on the tomato cheesy mixture.
Tip in the cold water and cook on Low for 6 hours
Take out the chicken breasts
Use two forks to pull apart and partly shred the chicken.
Put the chicken back in to the pot and add the dried pasta, push the pasta tubes down so that they are all under the liquid.
Cook for a further 45 minutes still on Low until the pasta is cooked. This may take a little longer than 45 minutes depending on your slow cooker.
Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top or grated cheddar for the kids.
- green salad and garlic bread
- green vegetables like broccoli or green beans
- corn on the cob
- ratatouille is delicious with it but it would have to be leftover ratatouille to keep with the no effort midweek meal vibe wouldn't it.
Storage & Leftovers
Cool any leftovers quickly and keep covered in the fridge.
Reheat till piping hot in the microwave or on the stove in a saucepan. Add some more water if it is too dry.
It does freeze well in a stout plastic container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and again reheat thoroughly.
Tips & Tricks
Use chicken thighs to keep the cost down
To make this dish in the oven then cook at 180 C in the oven in a casserole pot for an hour then add your pasta and put the lid back in for another 45 minutes or so until the pasta is cooked. Alternatively cook the pasta in boiling water, drain and add the chicken and sauce. Just omit the 400 mls of water added in to the tomato and cheese sauce at the start.
Add chilli flakes to give some heat
To make this dish vegetarian then use Quorn or a similar chicken substitute and bake in the oven as above.
If you're liking the whole vibe of slow cooker chicken pasta then you might wanna take a look at these.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Pasta
- 150 grams boursin cheese
- 400 grams tin tomato soup
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 300 grams dried penne pasta
- 1 tsp salt
- 400 mls cold water
- parmesan grated
- Mash the boursin cheese up with a fork in a large jug or medium mixing bowl and tip in the tomato soup. Mix the two together.
- Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker pot.
- Pour on the tomato cheesy mixture.
- Tip in the cold water and cook on Low for 6 hours
- Take out the chicken breasts and place on a plate
- Use two forks to pull apart and partly shred the chicken.
- Put the chicken back in to the pot and add the dried pasta, push the pasta tubes down so that they are all under the liquid.
- Cook for a further 45 minutes still on Low until the pasta is cooked. This may take a little longer than 45 minutes depending on your slow cooker.
- Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top or grated cheddar for the kids.
All nutritional information is approximate and intended only as a guide.
I really hope I've helped frazzled cooks everywhere. Do let me know if I have. Tag me in your pics on social media or comment in the comments below. x