This Chicken Curry Pie is a pie of fabulous retro flavours. The Chicken Curry of my childhood. A cross between almost a boil in the bag chicken curry and incredible coronation chicken. The pastry too is super delicious. Pair it with new potatoes and petit pois for the grown ups and chips and beans for the kids. A feast for all the family.
Chicken Curry Pie
This is a 1970's Chicken Curry Pie.There is not a tomato or vegetable in sight (well just a little onion but don't tell him).
It's a pie that is perfect for adults served with new potatoes and petit pois but my son will prefer chips and beans and I obviously won't deny him.
I absolutely adore the retro curry powder flavour and find it's super delicious in this pie. I roast a whole chicken which is more than is needed but I just add a little mayonnaise to what's left and hey presto I have a bowl of home-made Coronation Chicken in my fridge.
Recipe Steps - scroll down for full recipe card.
- Roast a Chicken and when cool pull all the meat from the bird and set aside.
- Chop the onion and garlic up finely or whizz in the processor-my preferred lazy-bird option.
- Fry in a medium saucepan for five mins in some olive oil until softened. Add the curry powder and fry gently for a further couple of mins.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Stir the cornflour in a cup with about double the water(enough that all the cornflour dissolves completely). Add to the simmering curry liquid whilst stirring with a whisk(curry).Keep stirring with the whisk until it thickens. Add the mango chutney.
- Continue simmering and season to taste.
- Add the chicken and set aside to cool.
- To make the pastry put the butter, flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor or mixing bowl. Either whizz or rub in by hand until breadcrumbs are formed. Add the egg,lemon juice and a splash of water and whizz or use a knife to mix until it just comes together. Give it a couple of kneads into a disc and cover in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 mins. Pre-heat the oven to 190 C
- When ready to get this show on the road then dust your work surface with flour and cut ⅓ of the pastry dough away. Roll out the remaining ⅔ to line a pie dish about 20 cm and 5 cm deep or round about ish. Trim off excess pastry. Fill it with the cooled chicken mixture. Brush the edges with egg wash and roll out the remaining dough to fit. Crimp the edges and trim again if needed.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE THEN YOU MAY LIKE THESE
Do let me know how you get on in the comments below or come on over and follow me on social media. I would love to see you there.