This Easy Butter Chicken recipe is absolutely divine. The flavours are deep, buttery and quite frankly to die for. It is always a huge crowd pleaser and just perfect for easy entertaining. It is one of my absolute faves.
This beautiful, warming curry is one of my absolute favourites. I make it as a family curry and as a dinner party meal. It always has rave reviews.
It is deep but moreish and tastes as if the flavours and spices have been developing for a week. There is no need to marinate just bring it all together and simmer.
It is both simple and delicious and perfect for a family meal or a gathering of friends. I always tend to make it ahead and reheat just beforehand and, as is usually the case, it is a whole load of better for it.
I make mine with chicken fillets or chicken breasts but I know it is advised to use the darker meat for optimum flavour but it does nothing for me. I am a breast girl always. Feel free though to use chicken thighs.
It is also a great leftover chicken recipe. Winner Winner....
Butter Chicken Curry Recipe
This Butter Chicken really is super delicious but I have found it must be spiced carefully. Too much and the incredible flavour of the butter can be lost.
I am a complete wimp where heat is concerned so I add chilli conservatively here. I serve it with Basmati rice and home made Naan-recipe to follow. God it is absolutely and incredibly lush.
- Firstly brown the chicken pieces and set aside. You are simply wanting a little colour from the browning. It helps with the flavour.
- Next soften the onion and garlic in the same pan and add the spices to the oniony mix. Fry these off for a few minutes before adding your passata and simmering away for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and yoghurt, put the chicken back in and simmer again for another 15 minutes. Add the remaining butter and you are ready to serve. It's that simple.
- If you want to serve at another time allow it to cool and then refrigerate until required. Heat through until piping hot. I actually think that it is almost better for standing a day or so.
- I have made it with left over chicken usually from a roast chicken. I make the sauce from start to finish and then add the chicken pieces and heat through until piping hot.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE FOR BUTTER CHICKEN THEN YOU MAY LIKE THESE
Thai Spiced Chicken Noodle Soup.
Perfect with this are my Homemade Garlic Naans.
Easy Butter Chicken
- 1 kg mini chicken fillets or fillets
- 500 mls tomato passata.
- 1 tbsp garam marsala
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder add more to suit
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 150 mls double cream
- 150 mls natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100 gms butter
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- Brown all the chicken pieces in a very large saucepan, I used a large casserole pan, in a couple of tbsps of butter and a splosh of oil. Best to do so in batches and set aside. It does not matter that it isn't cooked through as it's just the colour we are after.
- Blitz the onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. In the frying pan that you browned the chicken in melt 2 more tbsps of butter and another splosh of oil. Add the blitzed onion and garlic and simmer gently until soft.
- Add 1 tbsp of garam masala, ½ tsp mild chilli powder, ½ cayenne pepper and cook through for a couple of mins.
- Pour in the passata and bring to a gentle simmer. Add 150 mls double cream and 150 grams of yoghurt and mix well. Add 1 rounded tsp sugar. Add the chicken pieces and simmer gently for fifteen minutes. Finally add the remaining butter and gently stir through.
- Season carefully to taste.
- Apply to buttery Face
All nutritional information is approximate and intended only as a guide.
PIN ME FOR LATER!
Do let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love a good old hairy chin wag.
butter chicken is one of my favourites and the colours here look wonderful! Fantastic! #CookBlogShare
Thankyou-it's so deliciousy orangey!
Another butter chicken fan here! Simple and delicious! And yes the colour is fantastic! xx
Thanks Jo!One of my faves-especially for entertaining as I make it the day before-anything to ease the stress ??
Fan bloody tastic my funny gorgeous friend and your butter chicken is pretty good to ?❤️?
Obvs It was me and you in the aisles ??????
Come on M & S stop buggering it up !! And I refuse to be believe I’m a fat ageing friend ??? great read and recipie along with bread being sereed at chez Morgan this weekend ?
No not you Nodda-just the others ??? Still big hands Mick though according to this comment ???
Recipes Made Easy
I'm a chilli wimp too, but i think Im going to like this recipe it looks delicious
Thanks Jacqui.It's good to know I'm not alone.It just kills all flavour for me.Such a shame to miss the butter!!
Cat | Curly's Cooking
This looks absolutely amazing. I don't mind chili but I do like a mild curry so this is perfect for me.
Thanks Cat-me too-brown sauce makes me sweat ???
Oh my gosh, butter chicken is one of my fave Indian curries!! I want to eat it now haha x
It was a relatively recent discovery for me but am hooked-real fill your face food ?
Cooking with kids
Your rant mad me laugh ?. The buttered chicken looks lovely too x
Thanks!It felt good to get it out!
This sounds like a really rich and indulgent curry - perfect for those days when you need a little comfort food after one of those shopping trips! Thanks so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice
Thanks Corina.Truly satisfying food-my fave!!
We all love butter chicken but I will admit I do cheat with a sauce kit. I must try this recipe! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x
Thanks Kirsty-it's super lush x
Kate - gluten free alchemist
I'll take a big bowl please! x
My guilty secret is I like it with chips as well as rice....so bad.....
This has become one of my family’s dinners and mine as it’s so simple to make !! Thanks Jen ?
And ours.Thanks Donna hope to one day fill my face with it at your beautiful house ??
I have just trien an authentic butter chicken and I loved it!! This looks really yummy, Jenny. Thanks for sharing! x
Thanks Jhuls I am making it again on Saturday for a casual dinner party along with the Naans and lots of cold beer!??
Sounds fun! 😀