Easy Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate is the most fabulous recipe. It is incredibly quick to prep and made with real chocolate and cream, silky smooth and luxurious. Who doesn't want to ladle themselves a steaming mug and top with cream, marshmallows and chocolate sauce? Seriously?
The ease of the slow cooker here is almost just as good as the hot chocolate loveliness itself.
A couple of minutes prep and only 3 ingredients and you have hot chocolate on tap or ladle for how ever long you want it. Smug Sue alert.
*Reasons to make this recipe!*
- only 3 ingredients plus extra sprinkles
- the easiest prep ever
- slow cooker keeps it warm for as long as you need it
- kids favourite - great for christmas, halloween, bonfire night in the U.K or just plain movie night
- easy to customise - add different flavours
- great to double or triple up for entertaining a crowd
*There is a full printable recipe card at the bottom of this post*
The Best Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate Recipe
There is literally 3 main ingredients and then whatever you want to sprinkle the top with for extra dazzle. My kids go for squirty cream, mini marshmallows and chocolate sauce but feel free to go wild.
Halloween sprinkles at Halloween, Christmas sprinkles at Christmas, you get the themed gist. That's the beauty of hot chocolate. It can wear many hats.
- 300 grams cooking milk chocolate the best quality you can get
- 500 mls milk semi skimmed (reduced fat or whole)
- 200 mls double cream (heavy/whipping cream)
Simply break your chocolate up into squares and put them into your pot.
Pour in the milk and cream.
Cook on Low for 2 and a half hours. Stir twice in that cooking time remembering that the longer the lid is off the more heat will escape from the pot.
Stir well before serving.
Top with whatever toppings you fancy. As mentioned above my family love the classic, whipped cream, mini marshmallows and chocolate sauce.
Hot Chocolate Variations
Add the following to taste
- Baileys (alcoholic so add just before serving)
- Orange extract
- Peppermint extract (small amount)
- Kahlua (alcoholic so add just before serving)
- Peanut Butter
Hot Chocolate Toppings
- caramel sauce
- chocolate sauce
- various sprinkles
- crushed candy canes
- ginger syrup
- chocolate shavings
- chocolate chips
- fudge chunks
- orange zest
- maltesers/crumbled flake bars/crushed kit kats/after eights/
To make this a vegan hot chocolate then use vegan chocolate and milk. Vegan cream is not the easiest to heat so probably better to stick with just the milk. It will not be so creamy and velvety as this dairy version.
Store leftovers in the fridge covered and reheat on the hob or in the microwave. Make sure people are aware how hot it is before drinking.
You can totally make this recipe on the hob. Simply heat through over a gentle heat stirring frequently until the chocolate is melted and the whole mixture is hot enough.
To make the chocolate frothy then whip it well just before serving in the slow cooker pot. You can buy battery operated little whiskers which are great.
If you like this recipe you may like to check out these too
Easy Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- 500 mls milk
- 300 grams cooking chocolate
- 200 mls double cream
- whipped cream, sprinkles etc
- Simply break your chocolate up into squares and put them into your slow cooker pot.
- Pour in the milk and cream.
- Cook on Low for 2 and a half hours. Stir twice in that cooking time remembering that the longer the lid is off the more heat will escape from the pot.
- Stir well before serving.
- Top with whatever toppings you fancy. My family love the classic, whipped cream, mini marshmallows and chocolate sauce.
All nutritional information is approximate and intended only as a guide.