Roasted Butternut Squash and Feta Salad
I have totally committed myself to the much over used, new year, new me cliché and I have no cheesy shame. I am casting aside my bingeing Bitch alter ego in favour of the new me………… trim Trollop. Oh how slim I will be. I am going to smash my full fat man fold overs out of my big pants and as for those giant, pendulous bingo wings…….they are so going to get it. I am aiming to be gossiped about at the school gates……”Oh my goodness,” they will say, “I think she’s definitely had a gastric band.”
To achieve the figure of my middle-aged dreams I must not even nibble a carbohydrate, not even on a Sunday. No vegetable or piece of fruit will be safe …….Oh and I’m going to be giving up WINE…….eeek. I am feeling a bit over it in truth. The damn stuff makes me fall asleep drooling at 8 p.m only to wake me up again at 3 a.m just so it can help me fill the next few hours until the school run with anxiety and paranoia……..
I actually feel like I mean it too……I really don’t think it’s all guff this time……Imagine……
This Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Caramelised Onions and Feta Cheese is an excellent start to my journey. I figure that if I can keep the deliciousness of my food then I may be able to sustain my healthy eating for long enough to ditch the saddlebags. This Squash Salad really is something else too. It is absolutely delicious. The sweet flavours of the roasted squash along with the sharp feta cheese and heat of the chilli flakes are so good, add the caramelised onions and its verging on incredible…….Virtuous eating may be within my chubby grasp after all.
This Winter Salad would be delicious served with some warm Cheese Scones
Roast Butternut Squash Winter Salad.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 700 grams red onions
- 150 grams feta cheese
- 200 grams salad leaves rocket should be included.
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- balsamic glaze shop bought
- Pre heat the oven to 200 C. Peel and slice the squash into wedges of about 2 cm thick. Place into a large bowl and in a smaller one-I use a mug-mix 1 tbsp of olive oil, a pinch of chilli flakes and the salt. Pour that over the squash and using your hands mix well. Tip into a roasting tray. To aid caramelisation you could have had the tray in the oven for five minutes beforehand.
- Wash your hands to remove any sneaky chilli flakes. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes or until tender. Whilst they are roasting chop up your onions into half moons and fry in a large frying pan over a medium heat with the butter, sugar and remaining tablespoon of oil. You want the onions to turn brown and look like worms! This will take usually about 20 minutes.
- Allow the squash and onions to cool to just warm before putting on top of your salad leaves and crumbling the feta on top and drizzling over the balsamic glaze.
- Apply to Fat Camp Face.
Here are some more fabulous winter recipes.